Over the past nine months, the COVID-19 pandemic has, at times, presented us with overwhelming challenges. Some of those challenges have produced anxiety, fear, anger and sadness.
The Mayo Clinic offers a few physical and mental health tips on self-care during this extraordinary time.
- Fuel your body by eating a healthy, well-balanced diet and drinking plenty of water.
- Aim to get seven to eight hours of sleep each night.
- Exercise every day.
- Take deep breaths and stretch often.
- Avoid risky or destructive behaviors, such as abusing alcohol or drugs, excessive gambling or ignoring public health recommendations.
- Spend time outside, such as going for a walk in the park, but follow social distancing guidelines.
- Set and maintain a routine at home.
- Focus on things you can control.
- Use technology to maintain social connections with your loved ones. Consider a regular check-in schedule to give you something to look forward to.
- Focus your thoughts on the present and things to be grateful for today.
- Listen to music or read books.
- Consume reliable news sources that report facts, and avoid media that sensationalizes emotions. Limit your exposure or take a break from news and social media if you find that it makes you anxious.
- Lean on your personal beliefs and faith for support.
- Look for ways to help your community, such as blood donations, checking on older people in your neighborhood, or donating supplies or money to local organizations.
- Acknowledge and appreciate what others are doing to help you and your community.
While it is important to exercise, fuel your body with a healthy diet and get an adequate amount of sleep, pampering ourselves is also important.
Several months ago, I purchased Vanity Planet’s Aira Facial Steamer. Every week, I indulge myself with a facial that includes steaming, scrub with Clinique 7 Day Scrub Cream, a luxurious mask with Alive, Algenist’s luxurious Probiotic Balancing Mask and a peel with Algenist’s Blue Algae Dark Spot Correcting Peel.
Because my skin is prone to breakouts, I use moisturizers that contain very little oil. A small amount of Clinique’s Dramatically Different Moisturizing Gel or Dramatically Different Hydrating Gel do the trick.
My longtime hair stylist, Lance McBrayer, has rolled out Bodylux, a new line of all natural bath and body products to soothe your mind, body and soul.
The line includes soaps, bath salts, shower gels, body butter, bath bombs, lotions, creams, embellished aromatherapy candles and more. This is a great time to purchase holiday gifts and, at the same time, support a local small business. For more information, check out (hsi) – Hair Sessions, Inc.